Benefiting you personally, professionally and academically ...
"A lot of people look at my resume and they are very impressed. They haven't really heard of the program but [say] this is amazing that you had so many members in such a short amount of time and you initiated these steps and planned events. People are really interested in that and it shows that you take initiative - that you are an independent worker and you have the creativity to accomplish the tasks."
What are the benefits of the internship?
- Gain real world experience and receive a $1500 paid stipend
- Receive an on-campus internship with flexible hours around your class schedule
- Develop the essential leadership skills employers and graduate schools are looking for
- Learn skills in the following: Management, Budgeting, Fundraising, Communication, Public Speaking, Marketing, Public Relations, and Event Planning
- Get more students involved on campus and build a legacy
What skills will I develop in the internship?
- Management: Recruit and manage a 5-12-person Executive Board.
- Budgeting: Develop and implement a budget for speakers, community service and social events.
- Fundraising: Get your community involved in supporting the leaders of tomorrow.
- Communication: Implement cutting edge technology during the interactive broadcast events.
- Public Speaking: Represent the NSLS on your campus.
- Marketing: Create local marketing campaigns to enhance your chapter's image and involvement.
- Public Relations: Develop relationships with administrators and groups on your campus.
What are some other benefits of the internship?
- Develop leadership competency: The NSLS provides chapter Presidents all the resources to encourage advancement among members, as well as a roadmap for effective leadership.
- Applicable management aptitude: Once the chapter is established, you will become the Student President of your chapter. This is a vital role as the members you recruit will look to you, along with a Faculty/Staff Advisor you find, for guidance, encouragement and strong leadership.
- Capability to empower others to see your vision: Your chapter will have an Executive Board that you appoint, each with specific responsibilities you delegate to achieve one shared mission - hosting a successful chapter.
- Leave a legacy behind: Rather than just providing a one time event, the NSLS distinguishes itself from other programs by integrating a year long speaker series with training in personal goal setting, team meetings to set peers accountable for each other, and mentorship. You will be a part of this "positive change" even beyond graduation.
- A career builder for your future success: The internship Program will challenge you in many facets of management and professional advancement that is applicable in any career or industry field. What a great way to competitively distinguish yourself in your future job search!