Subscribe to Motivational Mondays on your favorite podcast platform!
Aaron Golub became the first legally blind athlete to play football in a Division I game at Tulane University. Now, Aaron is a motivational speaker, helping individuals and businesses reach their full capabilities.
In this episode of Motivational Mondays, Aaron shares how he overcame adversity because he believed that nothing is impossible.
Nothing is Impossible When You Set Your Mind to it
When Aaron started playing football in 7th grade, he wasn’t good. But in 10th grade, he found long-snapping and it became his sole focus. Aaron’s goal wasn’t to be the “best disabled athlete;” he wanted to be the #1 long-snapper in the nation.
Aaron realized if he mastered the position, he’d get the opportunity to play at a high level. So, he practiced every day and put everything he had into it. When you’re passionate about something, it could be a hobby you put time into. But truly successful people aren’t just passionate—they’re obsessed.
Learning How to Ignore Negativity
Aaron points out that many people make decisions based on other people’s judgments, thoughts, opinions, and feelings. Being afraid of what other people think stops them from accomplishing what they want. Because of that, they’re not able to go after their dreams.
Aaron emphasizes that you have to do something because YOU want to do it. At the end of the day, it’s an internal choice to push through and do the work to accomplish what you set out to do. No one else is going to do it for you.
Aaron’s Career as a Motivational Speaker
Aaron gives keynote speeches, runs workshops, and consults businesses on everything from leadership development to diversity and inclusion. He also works with colleges, professional sports teams, and schools.
These are a few questions that Aaron focuses on when strategizing with businesses:
- How do they create a pathway for success?
- What unconscious biases need to be unearthed?
- How can their business hire and promote better?
- How can they create a better culture?
He doesn’t want to take a cookie-cutter approach, so he tailors what he’s doing to every organization to make the biggest impact.
Listen to learn more about Aaron’s drive for success and how he motivates others to reach their goals!
Listen to this episode to learn about...
- [1:30] Aaron’s goal to be the #1 long-snapper in the nation
- [2:55] Surrounding yourself with the right people
- [4:25] How to ignore negativity
- [5:28] Staying positive and focused
- [7:28] Inspiring disabled athletes to reach their goals
- [9:43] Why Aaron chose to become a long-snapper
- [11:56] Aaron’s career as a motivational speaker
- [12:43] The importance of diversity and inclusion
- [17:45] The difference between passion and obsession
Listen to the bonus episode to learn why Aaron regards his blindness as a positive and why he thinks everyone should welcome new experiences.
Book Aaron on his website
Get inspired by Aaron's podcast
Check out other Motivational Mondays episodes