When looking into the many extracurricular activities and programs your current or prospective university offers, it’s important to know their benefits as they relate to skill development and resume building.
You want to choose a program that facilitates personal growth and will help you accomplish your professional goals — both now and in the future. A leadership honor society can help you do just that.
Read on as we discuss leadership programs for college students, their benefits, and how to find one that is right for you.
What Is a College Leadership Program?
A college leadership program is designed to help students hone their leadership skills. Typically, these programs are built around a curriculum of different skill-building methods with the primary goal of helping members achieve career success and personal development.
The Benefits of Membership to a Leadership Honor Society
Being part of a leadership honor society can be a highly beneficial opportunity that helps you secure your first professional job and provides you the chance to build lifelong relationships within a community of success-driven people.
- Leadership skill development. Hone soft skills such as communication, critical thinking, collaboration, work ethic, and more through training programs.
- Professional development opportunities. Gain hands-on experience and valuable feedback through mentorships and coaching, internships, jobs, interview tips, and more.
- Resume building. Get certifications to build your resume and digital badges to verify your credentials. In addition, choosing a leadership honor society that’s accredited will give you the edge you need to stand out when interviewing for jobs.
- Scholarships, grants, and awards, and exclusive member discounts. Benefit from financial assistance, gifts, and discounts — many programs offer these to their members to help them achieve more without monetary concerns standing in the way.
- Build your network. Networking is critical to developing your leadership skills. Connect with success-oriented peers and foster long-lasting relationships with them through different social events hosted by your leadership honor society.
Leadership honor societies are membership-based organizations. As it is with any collegiate program, club, or extracurricular activity, the more engaged you are, the more you will benefit from the program. Get the most out of your experience by being as involved as possible.
How To Find the Right Leadership Program for You
When searching for a leadership honor society, you want to make sure you’re choosing the program that’s right for you. The program you select should offer an educational approach that’s based on a high-quality, extensive curriculum. In addition, it should provide a variety of member benefits, networking events, and professional development opportunities designed to help you grow and achieve your career goals.
Conduct research and look at student testimonials and success stories to see how students like you have benefitted from the program. As an essential point of distinction, choosing an accredited leadership honor society will guarantee you’ll get the most out of your investment and help your resume stand out from the competition even more.
Why Sigma Alpha Pi (NSLS)?
Sigma Alpha Pi, primarily known as the National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS), is the only accredited leadership honor society in the United States. We are proud to help students like you further their professional growth through a well-rounded, versatile membership experience.
In addition to the highly sought-after member benefits discussed above, we also offer custom letters of recommendation for graduate schools or prospective employers, access to an exclusive online job bank, and an online speaker series where members are able to gain insight from top leaders such as Barack Obama, George Bush, Dr. Bernice King, and more.
Get involved in the NSLS today with one of our local chapters at over 700 campuses nationwide. If there’s not a chapter at your university, start one through our internship program.